Sunday, May 22, 2011

Brood XIX Periodical Cicada 2011


A cicada emerging from the nymph skin.










Holes under our Bradford Pear trees where the cicadas have
emerged from underground after 13 years.


Pile of cicadas under our pear tree.


Another cicada emerging.


This cicada landed on my ankle while I was taking pictures :0)

More cicada 2011 pictures tomorrow :0) For everything you ever
wanted to know about cicadas, check out this article. It's pretty
fascinating: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/

3 comments:

Kay R. said...

Great pictures!! Love the ones where the cicadas are hatching. Wild stuff! I think they have pretty wings. Love your close up shots.

Jane said...

Very cool shots! Julia freaks out over these. She won't even look at their shells! :) Really cool that you found the holes where they came up out of the ground. Creepy!

Kelly said...

These things are so gross! They are REALLY LOUD at my house. Deafening! I would freak out if one landed on me. You are a brave women!!!! Great shots!!!