Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Birdwatcher's Dream!


I've been an avid bird watcher since I was ten years old.
We have a couple of bird boxes hanging in various trees in
our backyard. This bird box hangs in a cherry tree next to
our deck. We were thrilled when a couple of wrens started
nesting in the box. We weren't sure how many babies were
in the box until a couple of weeks ago. We could hear them
peeping, but we couldn't see them. I got this shot of one of
the baby wrens poking his head out.


This was the first time I had ever seen a baby wren. He or
she was the cutest little thing! And very loud :)


It wasn't long until mama wren showed up with a nice, juicy
bug. If you look closely, you can see the baby wren's mouth
open back inside the box.


Mama wasn't too happy that I was sitting there with my
camera.


She kept checking me out.


She finally figures I'm not going to do harm to her babies
and pokes her head inside the box.


She pulls her head back out of the box and that's when I see
two little open mouths. Stay tuned for more wren pics :)

5 comments:

Jane said...

Wow, you got some awesome shots!! How cute! The momma watching you reminds me of that seagull we saw on the dolphin cruise in Hilton Head! :-)

Ann S. said...

Whenever I think about that seagull it makes me smile :) I think that same pair of wrens are getting ready to start another family in that bird box. They've been flying in an out all day. I hope so!!! The babies left the bird box the day after I took those photos.

Kay R. said...

Way cool awesome shots! Baby birds are precious. I love his little heart shaped mouth.

Ann S. said...

The heart shaped mouth is one of the first things I noticed when I uploaded these pics to my computer :)

Kelly said...

PRECIOUS PICS!!!